Predictions (10/9): I don’t think anyone would argue that this looks primed to be Christopher Nolan’s to lose. After missing out twice now (The Dark Knight, Inception), his most Oscar friendly project yet looks primed to win the gold.
The biggest question this year, though, is if a woman can break through and get into this category after years of it being dominated by men. Dee Rees’ Mudbound is an Oscar friendly breakout, but can Netflix really break into the Oscar race? And what about Patty Jenkins? Like Nolan with The Dark Knight, she directed a critically acclaimed, box office sensation. But its superhero origins may not be within the Academy’s wheelhouse.
- Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
- Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water
- Joe Wright, The Darkest Hour
- Luca Guadagnino, Call Me By Your Name
- Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
On the Bubble:
- Dee Rees, Mudbound
- Jordan Peele, Get Out
- Patty Jenkins, Wonder Woman
- Sean Baker, The Florida Project
- Greta Gerwig, Ladybird
- Steven Spielberg, The Post
- Woody Allen, Wonder Wheel
- Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread